Want to start a blog?
But have absolutely no idea how and where to start? No worries! Let me help you start a blog of your own from scratch and go all the way up!
- No computer coding skills needed
- No technical knowledge needed
- Even No prior experiences needed
I will show you the exact things I did to start my blog. Blogging changed my life, and like many bloggers, you’ll be able to make a full-time income within a year solely from your blog!
Thinking that you can’t make real money with blogging?
|Bloggers||Monthly Blog Income|
|1: Pat Flynn||$200,000|
|2: Michelle Schroeder-Gardner||$121,000|
|3: Melyssa Griffin||$173,000|
These are just a handful of mentions but the list goes on and on…
Before I started my blog, I came across a few blogs about other bloggers that didn’t make a significant income until after one or two years blogging. I knew I needed to build my income much faster than that, as I will easily be discouraged and/or bored if I don’t see quick results from my work.
One year? Nope!
I really wanted some significant results within a month of trying. To my surprise, I made a whopping $130 my first-month blogging. I was pumped! A lot of bloggers became full-time bloggers (5 figure/month income at least) within a year or two just because they gave it a shot.
I won’t lie. It’s a pretty awesome job. You get to help people every single day and get to stay home with your family while you do it. You can work in my pajamas, in bed, at the park, at the local Starbucks, or even on a vacation.
Well then. Here I am going to walk you through each and every step to how you can set up your own blog and share your amazing content with the world.
Wait! wait! how I am going to do that, I don’t have the technical knowledge of setting up a blog?
No worries, thanks to today’s technology anyone can set up their own website using the popular platform called “WordPress”. Almost most of the blogging websites are powered by WordPress for good reasons.
(THIS POST CONTAINs AFFILIATE LINKS. YOU CAN READ OUR DISCLOSURE POLICY HERE)
Step 1: Choosing The Perfect Blogging Niche and Blog name
What are you interested in? What are you good at?
Make sure you choose something you really care about, otherwise you’ll get tired of your blog very fast. And you have to make sure that your passion fuels you during the first few months of blogging.
But: is what you are interested in going to make money?
If you are blogging to make money (and I am sure most of you want to make money…or you wouldn’t be reading this!), you need to write about what people want to read. In the article called Blog niches that has 6 figures income potential, I’ve discussed the most profitable blog niches, you can check it out if you want.
Once you have chosen your blog niche, you have to come up with your domain name (Website’s name).
My strategy to choose a blog name-
- If you want your blog to be named after you, Problem solved! Name it after your own name (ex: JulieAdams.com).
- If you want your blog to be named after the niche you’ve picked then choose as appropriate (ex: Momtrepreneur.com, NatashasKitchen.com, BabyAndMe.com etc). Here the niche is very clear just by the name of the blog.
- You can even mix your niche into a catchy phrase (ex: MakingSenceOfCents.com, EntrpreneurOnFire.com, TheBusyBudgeter.com).
- Don’t use a blog name that is way too long.
- Try to combine similar words, use the phrases and try to swap words out with your own.
If you have selected a perfect blog name, you can check below if the name that you chose is available or not?
Step 2: Choose The Right Platform
So you are here to know how to start a successful blog that makes money. In order to do that, you will need to set up a self-hosted WordPress site. Self-hosted means, your site is completely yours.
You won’t be able to make money from a FREE blog. On the other hand, a self- hosted blog allows you to have complete control over the site.
And these are the reasons:
- If you use a free service, you WILL NOT own your blog or your website content.
- You will have limited options to customize your blog design and you might have limited support from the company.
- You will face major problems to put ads on your blog to which makes you money.
- Your blog won’t look professional and you might not be able to get approval for some affiliate marketing programs.
- And without affiliate programs, you will not be able to make a full-time income blogging.
If you want to make money from your blog, your website needs to be self-hosted on a web server. WordPress.org is the most popular website platform in the world. It’s completely free and flexible and it’s what I am using for Prosmartrepreneur.com
Step 3: Buy Hosting For Your Blog
Although WordPress.org is free, you will need to host your files on a server. If you’re interested in making money from your blog and turning your blog into a thriving business, then paying for a good hosting is a MUST.
Reasons Why You Should Use Bluehost.
- Its’ #1 recommended web hosting company by WordPress.org.
- You get a FREE domain name when you buy a plan.
- It’s the best affordable hosting for total beginners if you are just starting out and have limited resources and experience to invest in anything.
You just need to click on Get Started Now to chose your plan
You will be directed to a page where you can select the type of plan you want to choose. I recommend choosing the Basic plan. It’s all you need right now, and you can always upgrade later if you need to.
The longer your plan is, the cheaper per month value will be. I would suggest you purchase at least a 12-month hosting plan for these reasons:
- If you really want to give blogging a shot, you need to commit to it for at least a year. And having to put some money upfront will really make you take this step only when you are ready.
- You will receive a FREE domain for the first 12 months, included in the package.
- The per month price will be cheaper.
- If you only purchase a monthly plan, you might forget or will not feel the necessity to renew your plan with the risk of bringing your website down and losing tons of readers.
If you want to get the best value for money, I recommend purchasing a 36-month plan. This is what I spent when I started Prosmartrepreneur. It requires a bigger cost beforehand, but you end up saving a lot of money in the long run. But you can always choose a yearly package if you can’t make that big of an investment.
If you want to keep your costs as low as possible, remember to uncheck any of the extra add-ons. I strongly advise paying for “Domain Privacy Protection”, which is only $0.99/month to keep your details private.
Already own a domain name?
If you already own a domain name that you bought before from a website like GoDaddy, you will need to connect it to your Bluehost account. Just choose the second option on the page instead of registering a new domain name. You will then have to log in to your domain provider Account Manager page and follow the specific instructions to connect your domain to your Bluehost server.
Step 4. Install WordPress
Bluehost makes it very easy to create a WordPress blog and it’s FREE. Bluehost will now automatically install WordPress for you. All you have to do is choose your password!
If at any point in time you are unsure about what to after or during any of the steps, you can always open Live Chat on Bluehost and you will recieve their technical support.
Step 5: Select A Theme
You made it (almost)! Now Bluehost will ask you to pick a theme. What is a theme?
A theme defines how your blog will look. It provides the ability to style your WordPress site.
Which theme to choose?
I always, ALWAYS recommend Divi Theme for new bloggers, Where when you make a change to any of your page, everything is updated instantly right before your eyes. Design instantly!
YOU HAVE STARTED YOUR OWN SELF-HOSTED WORDPRESS BLOG!
You have just begun your blogging journey! You can log into your WordPress dashboard and start your own first post!
The URL for your blog dashboard should be: yourblogname.com/wp-admin/
Just type your username and password and it will look like this:
NOW YOU KNOW HOW TO START A BLOG!
You are at the beginning of a wonderful and profitable journey. It will take considerate amount your time, hard work and sometimes your patience, but following the right steps will get you there!
I did, and I am sure you can too!
If you have any questions about any of the step, please leave me a comment or send me a message on the contact page.